Yesterday I took my two children to Target. Not the smartest decision; way too many people in one area. Can you guess what section of the store was chaotic? Yes, you guessed right - Back to school supplies!
Parents and their kids, all maneuvering through packed aisles, pushing the over-sized red carts and holding their supply list in hand. Kids telling their parents, ‘I want this, I need this color, I don’t like this style’. Then every once in a while, I would hear ‘why can’t I have this or that’? Oh the joys of going back to school.
I took a deep breath, stood on the outskirts of the madness and sent my son in on a scavenger hunt. Colored pencils, find colored pencils. He came back with a pack of 12 – no we need 24. Glue sticks we need 12 glue sticks. He came back with 6 – head back and get 6 more. Remember Evan 6+6 = ? (12), correct, we need 12! We were able to get all of our supplies and walk out smiling. Mission accomplished!!
Heading back to school and new routines can be stressful and draining. We know this and should expect this. I was tempted when walking into the store to move into mission mode, ‘we have a job to do, let’s get the supplies and go home’, however, my child was really excited and I didn’t want to extinguish his excitement, so I changed my attitude and we all walked out skipping.
Many prayers to all the parents who are preparing children for the up-coming school year. Try to find a moment to skip with your child!
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment