Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Importance of groups!

Spending some time this morning reading essential church? reclaiming a generation of dropouts by Thom Rainer. I am fascinated by some of these statistics – let me know if you are shocked, surprised or exactly what you expected.

Dropouts
Of those who drop out of church – 70% will do so between the ages of 18 and 22.

For the record, this did not surprise me…..

Top Ten Reasons Church Dropouts Stopped Attending Church
1. Simply wanted a break from church.
2. Church members seemed judgmental or hypocritical.
3. Moved to college and stopped attending church.
4. Work responsibilities
5. Moved too far away from the church
6. Became too busy
7. Didn’t feel connected to the people in the church.
8. Disagreed with the church
9. Chose to spend more time with friends outside the church.
10. Was only going to church to please others.

I’m surprise – “church has no impact” or “indifference” isn’t a reason to why folks dropout. I think many folks don’t see church as a critical piece to a healthy – fulfilling life.

Small Groups
Here are two percentage numbers to remember 83% and 16%
83% of folks will REMAIN in church when they are connected to a small group.
16% of folks will REMAIN in church if they are NOT connected to a group.
If folks attend WORSHIP only – after 5 years they will be gone! Hmmmm, sermons and music only goes so far…we need to be in small groups.

Where are you in these numbers – are you going to remain in church because you are connected or will you become one of those dropouts? Are you in a small group? Have you signed up for a group? Do you understand the importance of a group?

I am in three small groups that meet regularly. One group is an in-depth Bible study that I lead on Thursday mornings. One group meets twice a month for 2 hours. This group’s focus is all about accountability. We hold each other to the fire, where are we falling short, we praise each other, and we get honest about where we need work. And the third group I am a part of is a Bible study. This group I am just one of the participants. This is where I get to study and grow. I believe small groups make a difference. They have certainly made a difference in my life….and clearly they make a difference in the Body of Christ. So again I ask, ARE YOU IN A GROUP?

No comments: