There is this great book by Larry Osborne – 10 Dumb things Smart Christians Believe. Are you one of those smart Christians believing dumb things? I was!
We have been taught over the years a whole host of phrases that we continue to repeat, tell our kids and hold as absolute truth. Sit too close to the TV and your eyes will go crooked. Candy will ruin your dinner (candy never ruins anything!) Break a mirror and bad luck for 7 years. What about this one, everything happens for a reason.
Myths or urban legends….here are a few more.
· God never gives us more than we can handle!
· God wants us to forgive and forget!
· A Godly home guarantees Godly kids!
· Faith can fix anything!
· God wants you to be happy!
· You don’t need to go to church to be a Christian!
· Christians shouldn’t judge!
· God brings good luck!
ALL MYTHS that need to be busted up!
Now some of you may have read through this list and disagree, want to argue with me. I think God does want me to be happy. I don’t think you need to go to church to be a Christian. Well I encourage you to come and join me this summer on Sundays at Water’s Edge or listen online because somehow these falsehoods keep showing up in our lives and these myths are influencing our faith and what we think about God. These types of myths can actually ruin people, get people angry with God, or cause people to turn away from God.
Hope to see you this Sunday…A Godly Home Guarantees Godly Children. I am going to parade my GODLY children across the stage. HA!
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment