Monday, January 12, 2009

Is something burning?

Moses was lucky enough to have a burning bush right in front of him. God tells Moses, ‘have I got a job for you,’ how cool is this? Moses didn’t think so, actually Moses had a few words for God….I can’t, I don’t know how, you wouldn’t want me, who am I, what if they ask, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Come on Moses, a burning bush was talking to you and you wanted to argue? Oh but how many times do I argue with God?

Whenever I have felt a tug on my heart to respond to something, anytime I am able to discern God is asking me to do something, my first reaction is I can’t, I don’t know how, you wouldn’t want me, who am I, what if they ask, yadda, yadda, yadda. Why is this? Why are we comfortable arguing with God, resisting God, instead of accepting God is calling us?

God calls us. God calls us as we are. God calls us.

We need to stop thinking God’s calls are always grand.....move to China….sell all our possessions and live as a nomad. God calls us each and every day and usually it is not very grand. Call that friend going through Chemo. Send a card to your co-worker who lost their mom 6 months ago. Ask a buddy to go play a little basketball, he could use some down time. Take a meal to your neighbor who just had surgery.

Being a believer in Christ is so much about caring for your neighbor. I believe this was the second greatest commandment….hmmm. The first being love the Lord with all your heart, soul and strength and the second is to love thy neighbor. We forget this is a call on all of our lives.

Another way we live out our call is stepping up, saying yes. The church and its mission won’t make a difference in the lives of others unless all are willing to do our part. Join the set-up/tear down team. Media and power point could use extra hands. Do you have a gift of gab; we could use you at the welcome table. Graphic arts abilities? Organization? Connections in the community?

I don’t know what your burning bush looks like, but we all need to stop thinking, God couldn’t use me, want me, who am I, yadda, yadda, yadda. Just say Yes.
When God calls, say – “HELLO”

No comments: