As a busy, working mother (as if there are other types of mothers; if you are a mom, you’re working), it is sometimes hard to schedule a day or days you need to get things done. One of the things I knew was coming down the pike for me was potty training my 2 ½ year old. I really thought this wouldn’t happen until he was a little older, but I knew I was going to need some time to devote to this great adventure. A few weeks ago, God gave me the time. When the snow hit Cincinnati, time stopped in the Lucas household. We were home bound, so why not POTTY TRAIN!
Every 15 min….Carter do you have to go potty? NO! Carter, do you have to go potty? NO! Carter, do you have to go potty? NO! Then you hear…..MOM, I GOT TO GO POTTY. RUN!!!!!
This is great fun! A day filled with celebrations, excitement and rewards. Every time we had a successful trip to the potty chair, he would receive a sticker for his “Potty Big Boy Chart”. Some trips even receive a sucker (moms you know these trips).
Now two weeks later, he is in big boy jockeys (except at night and nap time…I’m not that brave). I finally pulled the plug on rewards, he wasn’t happy with this, but I had to explain, “you are big boy…you don’t need rewards.”
It has become a new day in our home. As always, it seems the little things in life are those where we just have to praise God. Happiness can always be found in the little things. For me, it’s a potty trained two year old who is Oh SO PROUD of himself.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The next great day will be when they get themselves in and out of the car and you realize you didn't have to buckle or unbuckle anyones seats! GLORY DAYS!!
Post a Comment