This week my challenge for reset: spend a few minutes each day praying for an enemy, someone in my life I don’t like very much, or someone who makes life harder for me.
What a challenge! I am to pray for someone, who in my view, is out to get me. Someone who wants to see me suffer. Someone who enjoys seeing me squirm. How am I supposed to do this?
Luke 6:27-28, But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
This is what I have been doing, praying for the one who has hurt me. Again and again, I’ve prayed for the one who hurt me. Today I woke up and again I prayed for the one who hurt me.
Every time I read this passage in Luke I cringe just a bit. How can I pray for the one who was abusive? How can I pray for the one who stole from me? How can I pray for the one who lied, cheated, deceived? Surrender. I must take a deep breath and surrender. “Lord, I don’t know how to pray for my enemy, show me.”
This challenge is helping me to reset. This challenge has shifted anger and bitterness I’ve been carrying. This challenge has altered my outlook on today.
Where are you with your challenges? What are you resetting?
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment